Wednesday 5 May 2010

Waterlink Way Dawn Chorus

I'm a night owl, not an early bird, so to ensure that I got to Sainsbury’s in Bell Green by 05:30 I had to stay up all night.  That's how, yesterday morning at 5degC and in a northerly wind, I met Chris McGaw and seven others for his Dawn Chorus Walk along Waterlink Way. Chris runs the Rivers and People Project for Lewisham Council and his birdsong identification skills are amazing.

Our first stop was the Pool River immediately behind the store. Within just a few minutes the number of birds whose song Chris had identified was into double figures. If you ever get the chance to join one of his dawn chorus walks, don’t hesitate.

Most of the birdsong was heard on the first half of the walk, by the time we arrived at the confluence with the Ravensbourne River the sun was up and many of the birds had quietened down. We finished at the environment centre, whose name I forget but it used to be the southbound waiting room of Ladywell station, for a very welcome hot drink, biscuits and fruit. I returned by 75 and 181 buses to pick up my car. At 05:15 it took 10 minutes to drive there, at 08:20 it took 40 minutes to drive home!

Birds we heard (but didn’t see):
  • Cetti's Warbler *
  • Chaffinch
  • Chiffchaff *
  • Collard Dove *
  • Dunnock
  • Greenfinch
  • House Sparrow
  • Lesser Whitethroat *
  • Reed Warbler *
  • Song Thrush *
  • Woodpigeon
  • Wren

 Birds we saw and heard
  • Blackbird
  • Blackcap *
  • Blue Tit
  • Carrion Crow
  • Great Tit
  • Long-tailed Tit
  • Magpie
  • Mallard *
  • Moorhen *
  • Ring-necked Parakeet
  • Robin
  • Starling
  • Whitethroat *

Birds we saw (but didn’t hear)
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Grey Heron *
  • Herring Gull *
  • Jay

* Birds never seen (by me) in Hilly Fields

Forgive me for posting info unrelated to Hilly Fields, but it IS a local birdy blog!

1 comment:

  1. I rather wish I'd been on the walk too, all sounds amazing. I'm a night owl too so didn't consider it an option. Can't believe there are so many birds out there. Do you think he'd offer to do one in Hilly Fields next year? We managed 16 people for our Dawn Chorus two years ago.

    ReplyDelete